- The area is cleaned thoroughly.
- For the underarms, ice can be used to numb the area but this is not usually required.
- For the hands and feet which are more sensitive, topical anaesthetic agents are usually applied an hour prior.
- Using a very fine needle, medication is injected into the surface layer of the skin.
- The treatment process usually takes around 15 minutes.
Lighter or white skin occurs in vitiligo, while hyperpigmentation – more than normal amounts of melanin – occurs in melasma