While it might sound painful, microdermabrasion is actually incredibly gentle and fast, being one of our favourite anti-ageing treatments. Microdermabrasion is non-invasive, working to stimulate the skin while refreshing its appearance.
A series of microdermabrasion treatments is usually prescribed – you want repeated treatments, not just one, since the effect is so gentle and works over time. Microdermabrasion exfoliates the skin, removing the outer layer of dead skin cells, sucking them away to leave you with smoother, softer skin. You will also look more youthful and have a certain glow as the light will hit your skin cells differently. Dull skin cells are no longer there to absorb light.
When you remove the outer layer of skin – called the stratum corneum – your skin kicks itself up a gear, interpreting the removal as an injury. Your body then replaces the lost skin cells with newer, healthier cells, which is why microdermabrasion renews your skin so effectively.
There are two ways to perform microdermabrasion – either with diamonds/crystals or lasers. At ENRICH in Melbourne, we prefer laser microdermabrasion for non-invasive skin rejuvenation. There is much less risk of particles from the crystal/diamond entering the lungs or eyes, since the laser is energy only, with eye masks worn.
Interesting facts about microdermabrasion
- Microdermabrasion as a technique was developed in Italy in 1985.
- Over 100 microdermabrasion machines exist on the market, but they all do the same thing – exfoliate and vacuum.
- Microdermabrasion can reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, some acne scarring, and skin imperfections.
- Microdermabrasion can help reduce large pores, unclog pores, and minimise pores.
- Microdermabrasion can reduce pigmentation spots, age/sun spots, or other sun damage, by removing the top layer of damaged skin.
- Once you have had microdermabrasion, your skincare products can soak into your skin better, sometimes even twice as much, and allows the smooth application of makeup.
- There are millions of microdermabrasion procedures done every year across the globe, and it is considered a very safe, effective anti-ageing procedure for men and women.
- Microdermabrasion can be cheaper and more effective than chemical peels and other laser treatments.
- Microdermabrasion stimulates blood flow and collagen.
- Microdermabrasion can increase skin elasticity and strength.
- The people who tend to respond best to microdermabrasion are aged between 35 and 50.
- Anyone with eczema, rosacea, dermatitis, sunburn, cold sores, lupus, open wounds, psoriasis or severe acne should avoid microdermabrasion.
After your microdermabrasiontreatments, you should protect your skin from the sun and ask your cosmetic dermatologist what they recommend in terms of post-treatment care. You’ll need to go back every two weeks or so for your series of treatments, which may be best scheduled during winter when you won’t be incidentally exposed to sunshine (like through windows or in the car) as often.
We’re Melbourne’smicrodermabrasion experts.