It can be easy to find skincare advice from the people around you, the internet, and your GP, but how much does anyone really know if they are not a trained dermatologist?
Beauticians and laser skin therapists may have some practical experience, but they don’t know the science or anatomy behind what they are doing, leaving their clients out to dry if something goes wrong. GPs can be useful but only up to a certain degree. Anything complex, and you’ll need a referral.
Dermatologists diagnose thousands upon thousands of hair, skin and nail diseases, while cosmetic dermatologists improve the appearance of skin, using anatomical and dermatological training, and their artful eye, to guide them.
Whether it’s a rare skin condition or an annoying stretch mark, your dermatologist has the most advanced skin knowledge of any other professional in the world.
Dermatologists in Australia are generally seen after a referral from a GP, but you do get to ask for who you want. When you are getting a referral, tell your GP the dermatologist that you want to see, and get the best. Many of you will have recommendations from family or friends on who to see, so don’t be shy about asking.
Dermatologists can treat your skin condition, improve your skin, and in a cosmetic dermatologist’s case, help you look more youthful or erase blemishes.
Anyone claiming to provide dermatological services without being a dermatologist as defined by Australian law cannot provide you with the expertise you need. Even with their qualifications, not all dermatologists are created equal, and there is a lot to know – find an expert in your skin condition or area of need. Usually a dermatologist will specialise in an area.
You’ll get faster, more effective results from proven, scientifically-based treatments, by a dermatologist who has experience and expertise in their field.
Melbourne dermatologists can help with:
- Autoimmune skin conditions
- Blood vessel conditions
- Skin cancer diagnosis and treatment
- Mole and freckle removal
- Light treatments
- Acne scarring
- Scar reduction
- Varicose veins
- Toenail fungus treatments
- Snoring treatments
Melbourne cosmetic dermatologists can help with:
- Anti-ageing advice (make a plan for life)
- Wrinkle treatments (remove, reduce, soften)
- Laser and wave-based treatments (high tech state-of-the-art devices)
- Skin resurfacing (for removing blemishes or wrinkles)
- Liposuction (any part of the body, double chin, thighs)
- Dermal fillers (for skin rejuvenation, scar treatments or anti-ageing)
- Skin rejuvenation
- Age/liver spot removal
- Cellulite reduction (multiple methods)
- Stretch mark reduction/removal (white, pink or red stretch marks)
- Scar removal/treatments (cosmetic or functional)
- Rhinoplasty (surgical)
- Nonsurgical rhinoplasty (using dermal filler)
- Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty)
- Thread lifts (suture lift)
- Pigmentation conditions (such as vitiligo and melasma)
- Pearly penile papule removal (vaporise)
- Hair loss in men and women
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatments
- Body contouring and reshaping
- Body recontouring after weight loss or pregnancy
- Anti-wrinkle injections (neuromodulators)
- Vaginal rejuvenation (tightening, menopausal symptoms, incontinence)
- Hand rejuvenation (remove spots, rejuvenate skin)
- Neck rejuvenation (platysma band reduction, tightening)
- Eyebrow lift
- Tattoo removal (any colour, any skin tone)
- Laser hair removal (any area of the body)
- Gynaecomastia treatments (‘man boobs’)
We are experts.
Contact us for your skin, hair and nail needs