A researcher has looked deeper into patient perspectives on labia reduction surgery (labiaplasty), with the most common reason for women wanting a labiaplasty was the labia minora tugging during sex and discomfort wearing tight pants.
Fifty patients aged between 17 and 51 entering consultations for labiaplasty filled out a questionnaire, with the following key findings:
- Almost all (94 per cent) were self-conscious about their labia
- Over half said they thought their labia had become longer as they aged
- Over 90 per cent had long labia on both sides (known as ‘bilateral elongation’, as opposed to unilateral elongation, which means just one side)
- Over 70 per cent said they felt tugging during sex and found tight pants uncomfortable
- Over half said they experienced labial twisting and said they could see their labia in tights or yoga pants
- Almost half said they experienced pain on intercourse
- Forty per cent said they noticed that their labia may become exposed when they are wearing a bikini or bathing suit
- Over half said they felt less attractive to their partners, restricted their clothing choices, and reported negative effects on self-esteem and intimacy
- Almost all patients had four symptoms or more
One of the limitations of this study included the presence of that list of symptoms, as opposed to the women answering open-ended questions, however this study was a useful set of insights for cosmetic surgeons performing labiaplasty.
Demand for labiaplasty has increased 23 per cent since 2015, according to statistics presented by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Australian numbers are unavailable since labiaplasty is an elective procedure that requires no recording on official statistics. The study was published in the April 2017 edition of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, a medical journal.
We do not perform labiaplasty surgery at ENRICH Clinic, however we do offer high-tech noninvasive vaginal rejuvenation techniques for vaginal tightening and tissue revitalisation that can enhance sensation and reduce issues such as dryness, irritation, stress urinary incontinence and atrophic vaginitis.
Contact us for a private consultation.