In experienced hands, liposuction is a safe and effective treatment for fat removal. It can be used to reduce stubborn fat in arms, necks, chins and other areas of the body and reshape the body.
Dr Michael Rich has been at the forefront of liposuction in Melbourne and more broadly in Australia, being one of the first to perform it over 25 years ago. He was trained by Dr Jeffrey Klein, the founder of safe tumescent liposuction. Dr Rich often chairs liposuction forums as the ‘go-to person’ at both national and international conferences.
Unlike many other liposuction surgeons, he uses micro-cannulae (very tiny tubes) to suction away fatty deposits leaving a much smoother final result. Patients come from all over Australia to the Melbourne ENRICH Clinic for Dr Rich’s expertise in lipo, as he is highly regarded as one of liposuction’s pioneers.
Contact us to arrange a consultation with Dr Rich to discuss how liposuction surgery can improve your body shape.
General liposuction information
- What happens if I put on weight after liposuction?
- Large-volume liposuction – can it make me healthier?
- Who gets the best results from liposuction?
- The cost of liposuction in Melbourne
- Why cheap liposuction could end up costing you
- Comparison of Clatuu, Coolsculpting, and liposuction
- Will I be happy with my liposuction results?
- A clear explanation of the tumescent liposuction technique
- Liposuction scarring, time off work, pain and recovery
- Cosmo survey on liposuction for men: chicks dig it
- Liposuction for men – beer bellies, man-boobs, double chins
- Removing ‘man-boobs’ with liposuction – a new trend
Specific body areas – women and men
- Chin liposuction – what it can do for you
- Ankle and calf reduction liposuction – can it really help me?
- Inner thigh liposuction – how it works and who can benefit
- Inner knee liposuction
- Liposuction for buttocks
- Upper arm liposuction
- Liposuction for breast reductions
- Liposuction offers solution for breast cancer survivors with lymphoedema
- A graceful neckline – liposculpture of the neck and chin
- Spot fat reduction
Liposuction is recommended for those who have practiced living a healthy lifestyle, yet still have pockets of unwanted fat that won’t budge. Liposuction is not a cure for obesity or a substitute for losing weight.
All liposuction procedures at ENRICH Clinic are performed by Dr Michael Rich, who is widely recognised as a leader in this field for more than 25 years.
Our advanced liposuction techniques can slim and reshape areas of the body with excess fat, including the following areas:
- neck, chin and jowls (reduces double chin, soften jowls and narrows the lower face)
- breasts and ‘man boobs’
Liposuction surgery can also be used to treat hyperhidrosis, a condition marked by excessive sweating which can cause discomfort and embarrassment. The removal of the sweat glands within the fat reduces this problem.
Liposuction works well in a person who:
- has fat bulges despite a healthy diet and exercise routine
- has firm and elastic skin
- is healthy and has realistic expectations of liposuction surgery
- is a non-smoker
- ‘beer gut’ or ‘potbelly’
- flanks/love handles
- breasts, ‘man boobs’ (gynaecomastia)
Because gynaecomastia is a medical condition, a Medicare rebate may be available depending on the circumstances.
Dr Rich uses the ‘tumescent’ liposuction technique, developed by Dr Jeffrey Klein in 1985. This is the safest form of liposuction available.
Benefits of tumescent liposuction include:
- minimal blood loss
- no need for intravenous fluid replacement following treatment
- decreased likelihood for a second procedure
- no risks from general anaesthesia as it is usually performed under local anaesthetic or sedation
At ENRICH, we offer two types of liposuction:
Liposuction to remove fat from smaller areas such as neck, arm and chin liposuction, achieving a more youthful look.
- Mega Liposuction
A safe way to remove more than six litres of fat, but this is done over more than one treatment session.
Dr Rich assesses each patient prior to surgery and markings are made on the body at the sites of excess fat. Medication is then given for patient comfort. The procedure may be performed with or without sedation, depending on the patient and the nature of the procedure.
Local anaesthetic is injected into the area where fat will be removed, then tumescent fluid is then injected into the treatment sites.
Dr Rich uses a fine instrument (micro-cannula) to tunnel into the fatty area to extract the fat globules.
Liposuction treatment varies from person to person, thus these factors will depend on individual circumstances. Compression of the area is usually needed after liposuction surgery and the correct garment will be selected before the procedure day.
There is minimal downtime, with most patients returning to work within one to two days. However, it may take up to 1-2 weeks for tenderness of the area and bruising to completely settle.
There is almost no visible scarring.
Patients are allocated a nurse who they can contact out of hours for support if needed and patients return to the clinic the next day for dressing changes.
Final results may take a few months to be seen, once the swelling and bruising have settled and tissue has healed fully, so patience is important.
At ENRICH Melbourne clinic we pride ourselves on our industry leading dermatology standards with our liposuction surgery procedures and evaluations. We also offer cheek and other cosmetic fillers to meet all of our patients’ aesthetic and medical needs, helping them lead happier and healthier lives.