Blepharoplasty is eyelid surgery to remove excess fat and loose skin around the eyes, tightening the eye area.
Blepharoplasty surgery may correct sagging skin, causing visual impairments or improving the look of the eye area. A medical blepharoplasty is eyelid surgery out of medical necessity (for vision). Cosmetic blepharoplasty is to improve the look of the eye area. A blepharoplasty may achieve both goals in the one surgery.
Medicare may cover a medical blepharoplasty.
What can a blepharoplasty do for me?
- Give a more youthful appearance to the eye area
- Reduce the appearance of bags under the eyes
- Tighten loose or sagging skin under the eyes or on the eyelids
- Improve the contour of the upper eyelid
- Reduce fatty deposits that make eyes look puffy or tired
- Correct drooping of the lower eyelids that result in the whites of the eyes (sclera) showing
- Smooth excess skin, fine lines and wrinkles under the eyes
- We hide fine scars in natural folds and creases, so they aren’t visible
- Long-lasting results
The blepharoplasty procedure
There are a few key steps that take place in eyelid surgery: skin marking, anaesthetic, then carefully and precisely augmenting the skin, muscle and fat. We then close the incisions with sutures. Depending on the specifics of the surgery, we’ll use a local or general anaesthetic.
Are you interested in the gory details? Check out this scientific review on the most recent in advances and procedures for blepharoplasty.
Recovering from blepharoplasty
Eyelid surgery, like all surgeries, carries with it risks and post-surgical care. You will experience redness, swelling, tenderness and bruising after a blepharoplasty, which will take a few weeks to resolve.
It’s important to take some time to recover without other responsibilities. Your doctor will advise just how much time you’ll need, which will vary based on how extensive your surgery was.
General post-op advice includes:
- Avoid lifting heavy weights
- Avoid blood thinners for a week (aspirin, Warfarin, fish oils)
- Skip the sunshine and use sunscreen to prevent pigmentation issues and scarring problems
- Apply ice packs several times per day
- Keep your head elevated during sleep for five days
- Use lubricating drops and avoid makeup for two weeks minimum.
Loving your blepharoplasty results
Blepharoplasty patients are some of our most satisfied, since the results of the surgery can be dramatic, yet still subtle. You’ll still look like yourself, but younger and brighter since your eyes will appear larger and the surrounding area will be tighter.
Benefits of blepharoplasty
- Correct sagging upper eyelids
- Reduce puffiness in upper or lower eyelids
- Remove upper eyelid droop over eyelashes
- Remove fatty deposits that bulge
- Soften fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes
- Refresh and rejuvenate the eye area
- Reduce tired-looking eyes
Alternatives or additions to blepharoplasty
Eyelid surgery isn’t the only cosmetic treatment you can have for the eye area. We’ve got many skin tightening and rejuvenating procedures up our sleeves to complement or replace a blepharoplasty.
Skin tightening around the eye area
We use many high-tech tools for skin tightening that stimulate collagen production while also remodelling existing collagen. A crease, for example, is a line created from underlying collagen bunching together in a pattern over time.
We can soften a crease by ‘melting’ the collagen a little and letting it relax out of this forced shape. New collagen production strengthens and tones the outer skin by drawing it in where it might otherwise sag or crinkle.
There are many tools for tightening skin from lasers to radiofrequency to the Portrait plasma device. Each has unique benefits. We’ll match you with the device that best suits your skin type and needs.
Dermal fillers and anti-wrinkle injections
Two of the most popular and effective treatments for the eye area are dermal fillers and anti-wrinkle injections. Dermal fillers and anti-wrinkle injections work in concert (or alone) to help prevent future wrinkles, halt the worsening of and soften any current lines.
Dermal filler injections add volume to the face, and can quickly create a more youthful appearance. We can add dermal filler around the eyes to reduce the appearance of under-eye bags, dark circles and crow’s feet wrinkles, or offer you a brow lift.
Anti-wrinkle injections reduce the movement of specific facial muscles, particularly between the eyebrows or on the forehead. We don’t disable muscles entirely though – you still need to express yourself!
The key to beautiful anti-wrinkle injection results is a technique whereby we work around the very edges of a muscle, so the muscle is only partially relaxed. In this way, the full force of the crease, wrinkle or line is restricted.
At ENRICH Clinic, only doctors perform our injectable procedures, so you can rest assured you are in the best possible hands.
Love your eyes again.
Contact us for a consultation
We change lives for the better