Liposuction involves removing fat pockets from certain areas of the body to creating a more aesthetically pleasing shape. Some procedures can sway between the cosmetic and the medical, depending on the severity of the issue, such as breast reductions and gynecomastia. The amount of fat removed is dependent on the area treated; however, skin laxity after body treatments can be a concern.
Skin will naturally retract to hold its contents, and this typically occurs without effort after liposuction.
How we tighten skin after liposuction
We use several methods at ENRICH to tighten skin. What is most appropriate for you will be individually determined, so speak to your practitioner for advice.
#1. Intense pulsed light (IPL)
Intense pulsed light (IPL) treatments help contract existing collagen, causing tissue tightening. Light waves penetrate the cell, stimulating the fibroblasts (skin cells) to produce more collagen and elastin. We use our IPL machine for skin tightening after lipo.
#2. Radiofrequency (RF) treatments
Radiofrequency treatments heat existing collagen, causing contraction while also stimulating new collagen production. We use a few different RF devices for skin tightening after lipo, including the Secret.
Why you may want skin tightening after lipo
There are a few reasons why someone might want further skin tightening after liposuction: the treatment has left loose skin where the fat used to be, or as a stand-alone treatment to tighten and smooth skin, even perceived cellulite. Skin tightening is therefore used as an additional treatment post liposuction.
In younger people of a healthy weight, skin tightening after lipo may be desirable to reduce the appearance of cellulite or to overall improve the appearance of skin. Cellulite is not caused by liposuction, but conversely, liposuction does not remove cellulite. Cellulite reduction is a completely separate treatment.
For those with a lot of loose skin due to significant weight loss or the natural process of ageing where the skin will not retract naturally, liposuction may increase the surface area of sagging skin. In this case, skin tightening after liposuction may be a suitable companion procedure.
Skin tightening after lipo – significant weight loss
If you have lost a large amount of weight, you may have loose skin. This skin tends to accumulate around the arms, abdomen, back and legs. The achievement of such significant weight loss can be offset somewhat when clothes don’t sit well due to this excess skin. Adding liposuction into the mix can exacerbate a loose skin issue with the loss of even more fat volume.
This is the perfect time to look into refining your shape – skin included – with skin tightening after lipo.
Skin tightening after lipo for ageing skin
Collagen is the infrastructure of the body, holding everything up and together. As we age, collagen production decreases, which results in everything starting to drop downward and become looser.
While getting saggy and baggy is perfectly natural and healthy, it doesn’t always match the way we see ourselves. This is where skin tightening procedures can smooth us out for a little longer.
As we age, we may gain weight too, but it appears on our frame a little differently. We may develop a double chin or a larger belly, for example, which can be treated with liposuction in a straightforward procedure. A little skin tightening after these sorts of liposuction can work well to optimise the treatment when we’re less elastic.
Elements that affect skin elasticity
- How long you carried more weight – the longer your skin was stretched, the harder it is to bounce back
- Rate of weight loss – if you lost weight slowly over a longer period, your skin has time to adjust with your weight
- Age – the older you are, the less elastic you are
- General health – healthy skin is more elastic
- Genes – sometimes the elasticity of your skin is primarily out of your control
The benefits of skin tightening after liposuction
- Smoother skin
- Tighter skin
- Remove shadows and dimples caused by cellulite
- Create a more youthful appearance
- Stimulate skin to produce collagen and elastin
- Improve the texture of the skin
- Reduce fine lines and crepiness of the skin
Notes about skin tightening after liposuction:
- Skin takes time to bounce back, so you may need a little more time for your skin to do its thing after liposuction
- Compression garments can help with skin retraction after liposuction, so make sure to wear them diligently
- Manage your expectations: if you have lost significant weight, then had liposuction to contour, the amount of loose skin may require a more surgical approach.
- Do your weights! Strength training helps fill out the space in the skin with muscle before and after liposuction
- Be healthy – eat well, sleep well and exercise, and your skin will respond better to liposuction and skin tightening treatments
How much fat can be removed during liposuction?
The general guidelines are that we use a patient’s body mass index (BMI) to determine how much fat can be removed safely. This means that the more fat you have on your frame, the more you can reasonably part with, but when more fat is removed, the risk of skin laxity increases.
We are body sculpting experts
Contact us for a consultation today
We change lives for the better