A cosmetic tattooist specialises in creating natural-looking eyebrows, eyeliner and lash enhancements that save time and daily make-up application.
Eyebrow tattoos can restore years of thinning due to overplucking, hair loss, lack of definition, the after-effects of chemotherapy or scarring. Brow tattoos can also aid those who have eyesight complications.
Eyeliner and Eye Enhancement Tattoos
Tattooed eyeliner and eye enhancements instantly make the eye colour brighter and clearer, reducing or eliminating the need for liquid liner and pencils every day. If you have light, thin lashes, tattooed-on eye enhancements can improve the appearance of the eye.
Eyeliner enhancement creates a thicker lash line and looks the most natural. Top and bottom eyeliner creates a more defined eye, and makes the most sense for those applying eyeliner to the top and bottom lashes every day.
Cosmetic Make-up Techniques
A specialised tattooing technique is used for cosmetic tattooing, also known as microblading, 3D, brow feathering or hair stroke techniques. The colour is tattooed into the epidermis of the skin, fading naturally over time with sun exposure and natural skin exfoliation.
Who can get cosmetic tattoos?
Anyone 18 or over can have cosmetic tattoos in Australia, in line with regular tattoo guidelines. People who are unsuitable for cosmetic tattoos include:
- Anyone under 18
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
- Anyone on acne drug treatments (talk to your dermatologist about which ones)
- Psoriasis, eczema, rosacea, sunburn (heal first)
- Diabetic – see your doctor first
- Certain viruses
- Epilepsy, pacemaker, heart problems
- Flu or cold
- Large pores or oily skin (fades quickly)
- Sensitive skin
Cosmetic Tattoo Quick Facts
- Cosmetic tattoos are very safe and equipment is sterile
- It can be uncomfortable, but we use anaesthetic for comfort
- Most people feel nothing
- You must have a consultation with your tattooist first for recommendations
- Colour boost treatments occur a month after your first treatment
- The first week will look the darkest, but colour will soften 40 per cent
- You do not need to take time off work usually (you will just look a bit puffy)
- Avoid contact with water and sun for seven days after treatments
- Avoid certain skincare products (speak to your therapist)
- You may need to avoid driving after eyeliner treatment
- You can wear makeup to the treatment if you normally wear makeup
- Your cosmetic tattoo will last for 1-3 years
- You may need a colour boost every 18 months
- Do not wear makeup immediately after treatments or for 7 days – talk to your therapist