Australians are no strangers to the pursuit of flawless skin, with the nation spending an astounding $22 billion on skincare yearly. As the skincare market continues to expand, a plethora of innovative products and treatments are becoming available, providing us with a diverse range of options to achieve our desired skin goals.
Being well-informed about these trends not only allows you to make educated decisions about the products you use and the treatments you invest in but also helps you navigate the vast skincare landscape with ease.
So, buckle up and get ready to explore the world of cutting-edge skincare as we help you discover the trends that will transform your complexion and redefine your approach to skincare in 2023.
Trend #1: Prevention and More Frequent Skin Checks
In recent years, there has been a growing emphasis on proactive skincare and prevention, with consumers increasingly recognising the importance of maintaining a consistent, well-rounded skincare routine to protect their skin from potential damage.
“Addressing concerns early, such as when fine lines start to appear around the eyes, using anti-wrinkle injections then rather than waiting until the lines get more prominent will give a better result and also less cost,” says our very own Dr Maria Milone.
This shift in mindset has led to more frequent skin checks and consultations with professionals, ensuring that potential issues are identified and addressed before they become more serious.
Benefits of regular skin checks and consultations with professionals
- Early detection. Regular skin checks mean early identification of your skin’s potential problems, such as sun damage, pigmentation and even skin cancer, increasing the chances of successful treatment and minimising long-term consequences.
- Personalised skincare recommendations. Consulting with professionals allows for a deeper understanding of your skin type, concerns, and goals, ensuring that your skincare routine is tailored to your needs and optimised for maximum efficacy.
- Monitoring progress. Regular consultations facilitate tracking your skin’s progress over time, enabling you to make necessary adjustments to your routine and treatments to maintain optimal skin health.
Tips for incorporating prevention and skin checks into a skincare routine
- Schedule regular appointments. To stay on top of your skin’s health, book routine appointments with a dermatologist or skincare professional. Aim for at least one comprehensive skin check per year, with more frequent visits if you have a history of skin issues or concerns.
- Embrace sun protection. Prevention starts with daily sun protection. Incorporate a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a minimum SPF30 into your skincare routine, and reapply every 2 hours when spending extended periods outdoors.
- Invest in quality skincare. Opt for high-quality skincare products formulated with active ingredients that provide both preventative and corrective benefits, such as antioxidants, retinoids and peptides.
- Educate yourself. Stay informed about the latest skincare trends, research and innovations to make informed decisions about the products and treatments that align with your skin goals and values.
- Adopt a holistic approach. Remember that skincare is just one aspect of overall skin health. Incorporate a balanced diet, regular exercise and stress management techniques into your lifestyle to support the health and appearance of your skin from the inside out.
Trend #2: More natural results
Today, more individuals seek treatments and products that enhance their unique features while preserving their authentic appearance rather than opting for dramatic, artificial transformations.
As Dr Afrah Mazhar noted, “I’m finding that the current trend in the cosmetic field is aiming for a more natural result. Patients and celebrities are reversing their dermal filler if it’s not looking right or natural. We have also become more focused on skincare and lasers. Now I’m my opinion, this is a great change. This has always been my personal aesthetic, and now I feel like the tide is turning on overdone cosmetic results.”
How skincare and aesthetic treatments are adapting to deliver more natural results:
- Subtle enhancements. Skin specialists now focus on subtle, targeted treatments that amplify a person’s natural beauty while minimising signs of ageing and skin imperfections. New techniques with dermal fillers, microneedling and gentle chemical peels are gaining popularity for their ability to deliver refined, understated results.
- Customisation. The industry is increasingly embracing personalised skincare solutions, recognising that a one-size-fits-all approach may not yield your desired natural outcomes. Bespoke treatment plans and product formulations are also becoming more prevalent, ensuring you receive tailored care that addresses your unique preferences.
- Ingredient innovation. Skincare products are formulated with innovative, naturally-derived ingredients that work synergistically with our skin to support its inherent healing and regenerative processes, promoting a more natural and youthful appearance.
Tips for achieving a natural look with skincare treatments and products:
- Choose the right practitioner. Select a skincare professional or aesthetician who shares your vision of natural beauty and has a proven track record of delivering subtle, natural-looking results.
- Prioritise quality. Invest in high-quality skincare products with effective, naturally-derived ingredients supporting your skin’s health and natural radiance. Look for brands that prioritise transparency and sustainability in their formulations.
- Develop a consistent routine. Maintain a regular skin care regimen that includes cleansing, exfoliating, moisturising, sun protection and targeted treatments for specific concerns such as pigmentation, fine lines or acne. Consistency is key to achieving a naturally beautiful complexion.
- Embrace multi-functional products. Opt for products that serve multiple purposes, such as tinted sunscreens or serums that combine antioxidant, brightening, and anti-ageing benefits. These multi-functional products can help you look more natural while simplifying your skincare routine.
- Focus on skin health. Remember that a truly natural look begins with healthy skin. Prioritize overall skin health by adopting a holistic approach encompassing a balanced diet, adequate hydration, stress management and sufficient sleep.
Trend #3: Combination treatments
This involves combining different skincare treatments to target multiple issues simultaneously, offering a more comprehensive and personalised solution. These treatments provide enhanced results, time efficiency and cost-effectiveness, making them an increasingly popular choice.
Some popular treatment combinations for various skin concerns include:
- Anti-ageing: Dermal fillers, Antiwrinkle injections & Bio Remodelling for fine lines, wrinkles and loss of elasticity.
- Acne and scarring: Chemical peels and laser therapy to address acne breakouts, hyperpigmentation and scarring.
- Pigmentation: Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) therapy and microdermabrasion for uneven skin tone, sun damage, and age spots.
- Skin tightening: Radiofrequency treatments and ultrasound therapy for sagging skin and improved elasticity.
To choose the right combination treatments for your needs, we recommend consulting with one of our dermatologists, highly qualified nurses or aesthetic doctors, who can assess your skin concerns and provide personalised recommendations. Additionally, researching different treatment options, considering your skin type, setting realistic expectations and monitoring your progress will ensure you achieve the best possible results from your combination treatments.
Trend #4: Bio Remodelling
Hydrating fillers or bio remodelling is a new generation of dermal hydration that contains a naturally occurring substance in our skin that attracts and retains moisture.
Bio remodelling injections are formulated with a higher concentration of this substance which allows them to integrate seamlessly into our skin, providing deep hydration without causing significant volume changes. This results in a more natural and refreshed appearance and improved skin quality, texture and elasticity.
Benefits of using bio-remodelling for skin rejuvenation and anti-aging:
- Improved skin hydration. By attracting and retaining moisture, bio-remodelling help to restore and maintain optimal skin hydration levels, resulting in a plumper, more radiant complexion.
- Enhanced skin quality. Bio-remodelling can improve our skin texture, elasticity and firmness, addressing common signs of aging and promoting a more youthful appearance.
- Natural-looking results. Due to their unique formulation, hydrating fillers provide subtle, natural-looking results, enhancing your features without causing significant volume changes or altering your facial structure.
- Minimally invasive. Hydrating filler treatments are minimally invasive and require little to no downtime, making them a convenient and low-risk option for skin rejuvenation and anti-aging.
Expectations and potential risks associated with hydrating filler treatments
While bio-remodelling is generally considered well-tolerated, some potential risks and side effects may include temporary redness, swelling, bruising, or discomfort at the injection site. These side effects are typically resolve on their own within a few days. Choosing a qualified and experienced practitioner to perform the treatment is essential to minimise potential risks.
Minor results from bio-remodelling treatments can be seen immediately after the procedure, with optimal results typically visible within two weeks and two treatments, one month apart. The longevity of the results varies between individuals, but most of our clients noticed effects to last between six to twelve months. Our specialists may recommend regular maintenance treatments to prolong the results.
Trend #5: Global Treatments
“As skin ages, a global treatment is often a better option (i.e. treating the whole face rather than just individual spots) An example of that might be full face Fraxel for spot removal and anti-wrinkle injections for specific areas or filler and anti-wrinkle injections in one session across all the areas that require these treatments,” says Dr Milone.
By adopting a global treatment approach and focusing on the whole face rather than just individual spots or areas, you can enjoy a more comprehensive skincare journey. As you explore and integrate these techniques and approaches into your skincare routine, you’ll be well on your way to achieving a more radiant, youthful, and healthy complexion.
Examples of global treatment techniques and approaches
- Layered treatments. Combining different treatments in a single session, such as chemical peels, microdermabrasion, and laser therapy, can simultaneously address various concerns like texture, pigmentation and scarring.
- Facial contouring and rejuvenation. Utilising a combination of dermal fillers, hydrating fillers, and other injectable treatments can provide a more balanced and natural-looking facial rejuvenation, targeting the whole face rather than just specific areas.
- Full-face skin resurfacing. Techniques like laser resurfacing, micro-needling, and radiofrequency treatments can target the entire face, improving overall skin quality, texture and tone.
- Comprehensive skincare regimens. Creating a well-rounded skincare routine that includes products targeting hydration, exfoliation, sun protection and antioxidant support ensures that the entire face receives the necessary care and attention.
Trending with Enrich
The aesthetics skincare industry is continuously evolving, bringing forth innovative trends that cater to a wide range of skin concerns and preferences. As we move through 2023, we encourage you to explore new innovations and see what might suit your personal skincare routine.
Our team is dedicated to helping you navigate the ever-evolving world of aesthetic skincare, ensuring that your journey is both enjoyable and effective. Contact us today.